Apples for sauce

Posted by J on Thursday, October 28, 2010. Filed under: , ,

The thrid batch of cupcakes are in the oven to take to school tomorrow I'm sitting in the kitchen and I am hungry. Not a good thing in my condition. There is nothing I can just snack on that doesn't have to be prepared. Thank goodness Baby Girl and I made applesauce the other day.


How do you make applesauce? I had never made it before until I started this diet and at first, I boiled apples in honey and water then mashed them with my stick blender. After doing that a few times I started just making it in the oven, it requries less attention that way and since it's been really cold here, heats the house up a bit. So here's how I do it now.



First, I force my 2-year-old to peel all the apples. Not really but she does help. Hubby bought me this apple peeler/slicer/corer after hearing my whine about how much of a pain it was to peel/slice/core by hand. I end up having to do this about once a week so it was total worth the 16 bucks it cost. So after they are peeled I pile them into a pan and bake them at 350 for an hour. No liquid, no honey.


After I pull them out of the oven I hit them with my stick blender. Done. I usually just eat it plain, chilled, or heated. Sometimes I add honey and cinnamon, sometimes I don't.

After these cupcakes are finally done I'm going to bake a butternut squash and make a custard hopefully before Project Runway comes on, however it's already 8:20, the squash bakes for an hour, then another hour for the custard if I'm super fast about putting it together. I'll just stop when I'm tired.

No Responses to Apples for sauce

Leave a Reply