Nut free SCD legal banana bread:

Posted by J on Friday, January 14, 2011. Filed under: , , , , , , ,

Since I started SCD I always had some issues with nut flours which, I've recently discovered, was an allergic reaction. The doctor took my complaints very seriously and I am now a proud epi-pen carrying member of the nut-free club. However, now I had to go figure out how to bake again with a new flour. I chose coconut flour because, well, really, what is there other than nut flours that are allowed on this diet? Good thing coconut flour is yummy and I've found it to be cheaper than the almond flour that I was using. Don't worry, this doesn't actually taste like coconuts. It's moist, filling, and everything you'd ever want from a banana bread. 


Ingredients:
2 mashed bananas
6 large eggs
1/2 cup honey
3 tbs coconut oil melted
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. What I usually do is throw all this into a blender going in order of the ingredients (if you put the flour on the bottom it just won’t blend) as let it blend until all the lumps are gone. If you don't want to do that, combine all the wet ingredients together, mixing well. Set aside. Mix the coconut flour and baking soda together. Add the dry to the wet ingredients and really mix it well. Coconut flour tends to clump so really keep on it or use an electric hand mixer. After everything is mixed pour it into a parchment lined bread pan and bake for 50 minutes.

right out of the oven

yum

1 Response to Nut free SCD legal banana bread:

  1. Ruth Hirsch

    Joslyn,

    Thank you thank oyu thank you! This is a wonderful website blog [ok, I don't really know if there is a dif. Also, I am on neither fb or twitter, etc.] So I really really hope you'll keep this up........ a long time!

    I found your site in a mention in another SCD site. Was I tickled to find your recipes and your writing. Like the pix of your knitting, tho I don't myself. knit that is.

    I too love baked goodies, and baked goodies sans nuts that I can eat w my hands.
    I am so relieved oyu are doing this. As you prob'ly see, I really appreciate your doing this work. I also understand that you may've been housebound some, esp if you too are in the NorthEast.

    Could I make a request? Would you perhaps try some savory/not sweet baked goods? I miss my no knead bread! And know there will--or is not likely to be-- something similar, SCD.
    But I've wondered abt other snacky stuff. I happily lost weight back when I gave up Bread and Butter, a favorite food group for me. And do not want to re-gain weight........
    Have you played w meringues at all? Of course, what-to-do-w the yolks since we are dogless r now.

    ok, I rambled!

    thanks,

    Ruth

Leave a Reply