Crohn's Teeth

Posted by J on Wednesday, April 6, 2011. Filed under: , , ,

It's snowing right now. No I don't want to talk about it.
What I do want to talk about is my dental appointment yesterday. Since I was diganosed with Crohn's I've become super paranoid about my teeth. Before my diagnosis I never really flossed on a consistent basis and I didn't brush every night either, I never really had major issues with my teeth until I was pregnant with my second child I was very ill for months and my back molars got holes in them, yes holes, right along the gum line.

It was awful. I had to wait until she was six months old (and not nursing every two hours) to get them fixed and at that time I ended up having a total of 9 cavities all at once after not having any ever, my entire life up to that point. It happened so quickly, I had been at the dentist for a regular check up a few months before I got pregnant. I was 22 at the time and that was right around the time when my Crohn's symptoms started in earnest, of course I didn't know what was going on with me back then. I just figured things were changing, I had two kids, I was tired, that was normal. It wasn't. My teeth weren't the only thing that should have been a warning sign for me but back then I didn't know what I should be looking for.

But back to now: I had dental appointment yesterday and I have to admit I was nervous. I have been brushing twice a day (carefully, don't push too hard your you'll do more harm then good!) and flossing once a day before bed. I haven't been using any sort of fluoride rinses or anything because I'm not really convinced they would do anything and they have added sugars (what the heck?!). So I went and everything was fine! The tech was really impressed with my teeth, I got xrays done and everything looked good with those too. She was also really supportive of my diet, which made me feel really good about what I'm doing.

I know, I shouldn't care what other people say or think and for the most I don't because I believe that I'm doing the right thing for my body and for my health but it was nice to have some support from someone in the medical community. The health of your teeth and gums is so telling and important to your over all health and it's something to take seriously.

2 Responses to Crohn's Teeth

  1. The Martha Complex

    I had a dentist appointment too yesterday.

    I HATE going to the dentist. With me, I had gum problems. I have since became proactive in flossing and brushing everyday and seeing the dentist every 4 months. But even with that, if I wake up with a toothache one day (knowing my sinus problems can lead to pressure on my teeth) I just know that my teeth are fixing to fall out and I am going to be wearing dentures.

    Isn't it funny though how the more proactive we are with out teeth the more we worry about it?? Like the spouse, he brushes once in the morning and probably flosses only on the day he is going to the dentist - he has never had a cavity or any other issue teeth issues. It aggravates me!

  2. J

    yes exactly, I had some sinus issues months ago and I was running down the steps and my teeth hurt! I was freaking out until I realized it was my sinus putting pressure on them but oh man, was I ever upset!

    My husband is the same way with his teeth and never any problems.

Leave a Reply