Soup Guide (Gluten Free, SCD legal, nut free)

Posted by J on Thursday, February 3, 2011. Filed under: , , , , , ,

I wasn't going to post this cause I figured that everyone "knew" how to do this. Then I thought about it for a while and I realized that I didn't know how to make soup when I was first starting out cooking, I just sort of figured it out as I went a long so I would have had loved to have some direction.  I'm a haphazard cook. I never measure anything and keep tasting and adding things until something "tastes right" so this is more of a "soup guide" than an actual recipe.You can really put anything you want in it, if you like broccoli, add it, if you love onions, add them.


Stock:
carcass of one roasted chicken (I usually roast a 5lb chicken)
one onion, quartered
1 carrot, peeled and broken in half
sea salt & pepper to taste
enough water to cover

You're going to need a very tall pot. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer and cover for 3 hours. Strain broth, discard the onion and carrot. Remove any meat from the carcass and refrigerate the broth if you aren't going to use it right away.

Chicken and Veggies Soup serves 6:
Homemade chicken stock
1 large carrot peeled & sliced
1 stalk celery sliced very thin
1 zucchini julienned (avoid the seeds)
5 button mushrooms, sliced
sea salt & pepper to taste
cooked chicken meat

Put all your soup ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until the veg is as soft as you'd like it. That's it. Taste your broth and adjust the seasonings.

No Responses to Soup Guide (Gluten Free, SCD legal, nut free)

Leave a Reply